We spoke to Sandro about what it’s like studying for the Hospitality II Certificate here at Lexis and living in Perth!
1. How long have you been studying at Lexis? I started here six years ago studying English and now I’ve been studying hospitality since January.
2. Which country are you from? Switzerland
3. What’s your favourite learning tip? Avoid people who speak your language. I did that when I came here and when I met someone who came from my country I told them I spoke another language. The students figured out many months later!
4. What’s the best thing about living in Perth? The weather, the beach and people are very friendly here.
5. What’s the hospitality course like? It’s very interesting. I’ve learned many things there such as food contamination. I apply many things that I’ve learnt to real life. For example, I now know not the cut chicken and veggies on the same board!
6. What’s the funniest thing that’s happened to you on the course? One time we were making juices and we accidently added too much ginger and the people liked it!
7. What’s your favourite English word? Cheers!!!!
8. Which activity do you enjoy the most in your hospitality class? Role plays where we get to be both the customer and staff.
9. If you had to pick another Lexis campus to study in, which one would you choose? Kobe in Japan.
10. What’s the most useless talent you have? I’m great at making paper planes.
11. Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck, or 100 duck-sized horses? 100 duck sized horses because they’re smaller! I know that when a duck bites it hurts! We have a lot of ducks in Switzerland.
12. What was the last gift you gave someone? A bottle of wine!
13. What’s the best thing about the hospitality course? The contact with people. Working at the Lexis café is great!
14. What do you miss the most about your home country? The food, of course!
15. If your best friend had to describe you in one word, what would it be? The best!
16. What is the dumbest way you have been injured? When I was a kid I was running in a furniture shop and I fell down and my head hit the pointy corner of a bed.
17. Where will your next holiday be? In Japan
18. What would your perfect party look like? On a boat, with a sunset
19. What is your spirit animal? I was born at the end of July, so of course, a lion!
20. What song do you know all the lyrics to? The complete lyrics? – no song.
21. If you could pass on any advice to a beginner hospitality student, what would it be? Don’t forget the ginger!